Monday, August 10, 2009

Tshirt from a Onesie

This actually turned out pretty well, believe it or not! Mom brought me the cutting mat and rotary cutter when we went out for lunch today. It was HUGE! I was at ACMoore looking at them yesterday and they had some very small ones. I didn't know what I was in for! She also brought me a square ruler. I used this tutorial.

The onesie on the mat, with the square ruler to guide me.

First, I cut off the legs and snaps of the onesie. This was a 99cent Hanes onesie. Good fabric weight, much nicer than some of the more expensive onesies Jack owns. I did this using the rotary cutter, which is how there is actually a straight line. We would be having a different conversation otherwise.
Folded it up 1/4", pressed, then folded up another 1/4". Not crazy about these pins. I will admit, I used them because they are cute but they have no utility to them at all. Pressed the crap out of it. The side seams were very hard to figure out. I ended up winging that part.
I sewed the shirt from the inside out. The tutorial was unclear on this part, so I pinned, pressed, and everything else from the inside.
Not bad, if I do say so myself! The bottom is actually very straight and I only messed up once! (I forgot to put down the presser foot)
Tried the t-shirt on its intended recipient. Thank you Aunt Amanda for holding Squirmles steady while I got a picture. Yes, his diaper cover matches his t-shirt, and no, that wasn't on purpose. I was a bit worried that the shirt might not fit over his head.

What I learned:
  • Always put down the presser foot
  • Ironing pins with plastic tops is never a good idea. The melted orange one is a really good example.
  • Rotary cutters are awesome.
  • I think I might have a better understanding of the bobbin now, things got messy when I forgot to put down the presser foot and I had to open the holder again.
  • I didn't realize how indespensible a good iron can be when sewing.
As an aside, the Walmart near me, instead of having a craft section, has a craft quarter-aisle. It is sad and pathetic. I wanted some Fiber Fill but they didn't have any. Now that I think about it, I bet they had it with the floral/cake decorating supplies. I was looking in sewing and knitting.

Upcoming projects:
Put a clean edge on all of my microfiber rags (good practice!)
Make Honey Bear t-shirt out of the yellow onesie.
Make a clothespin holder (this is going to be a while off...I have no fabric at all except "practice" stuff).

No comments:

Post a Comment