Sunday, August 9, 2009

First post!

As anyone who knows me knows, I do not sew. I don't do anything artistic except for being a musician. Well, I have decided to learn how to sew. It is a bit odd that I can't sew. My mom is fabulous with a sewing machine. I just never learned. I don't even know what sparked my interest, really. I guess I just needed a hobby!

So for my first post, I thought I would post a few pictures.

Here we have the all-important iron.
The needle I bent (right) and the needle I broke (left and middle) last night. Good thing my mom had the forethought to send a bunch of extra needles and the machine manual. Now I know to double check which presser foot to use with what stitch.
The lovely thread and wound bobbins my mommy sent.
My practice fabric. A stack of flannel receiving blankets given to us by Jack's daycare. Tonight I will use one to make a stitch sampler.
The all important sewing machine!!!
The books full of inspiration and wonderful sage-like advice. I think Mom cleaned out a whole bookshelf to send these over. Two are missing, because I was busy reading them.

Mom ordered the pattern for this today. About a year from now, if I work at it, I bet I could sew this. It is a Mei Tai baby carrier. It is SO CUTE! I want a soft-structured carrier that can be thrown right in the diaper bag. The Ergo is fabulous but it is very bulky. Really, each baby carrier has a different purpose. I love babywearing, and hope to do it for a long time. Mom is going to try and figure out a way to do this so it can have a window with interchangable fabrics on the front. I KNOW I can do that. It involves sewing a square and putting on velcro. So she will make this one.

She also ordered this from the same website. I think it is SO CUTE and will be trying my hand at this one. I will probably do one solid color on each side. Directional fabric scares me a bit at this moment. It will be my very first pattern.

Projects on the horizon:
Sew Liberated Emmeline Apron
DIY Pincushion (yes I have a pincusion, there are just SUCH CUTE ones out there!)
This mobile looks hard but is actually hand sewn (which I can do) and pretty simple.

Non-sewing project:
My first iron on transfers, believe it or not. The stuff is in the wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment