Monday, August 10, 2009

My first MASSIVE FAILURE! (AkA A great learning moment)

I was perusing some YouTube videos this morning, during Jack's nap. I came upon one that was a tutorial on making Babylegs. They are nice when you have a baby with a very fluffy butt and a hot apartment but you don't want him getting rugburn. I was using this tutorial.

Anyway, I watched the tutorial and said to myself "I can do that!" (Famous last words). I thought I would pick up a few pair of kneehighs at Walmart later today and try it out. Then I thought, hey, I have all those socks Nate is getting rid of, why not do a tester and see if I can even do it?
Here is the tester sock. A Hanes manly-man tube sock.
Cut out the heel and toe as per the video instructions.
Sewed the foot with a zig zag stitch. Not too bad. "Wrong side" and "Right side" are making more sense now. This unfortunately has a fuzzy inside, which I didn't realize until I started cutting. This will factor in later... (BTW, still using contrasting color thread so I can see what is actually happening)
Woo hoo! Easy! Now all I have to do is sew the cuff on in a circle! No prob.
WTF just happened? The bobbin went nuts apparently. I hit a thicker spot while doing a straight stitch and it just got stuck. I think I also forgot to lower the presser foot and had the tension too low (more on playing with the tension on another day...lets just say a great Ehow video done by a guy who works with leather is in my future).
Took it apart, put it back together. Yay for little toolkits right in the machine. Oh wait, it happened again. I think the stuff was just too thick for what I was going for.

The "Finished product" (LOL!) I couldn't get through the seam, it was thick and too layery, and my tension was not good. However, in some spots, it actually looks the way it supposed to.
And in others...not so much.

What did I learn this morning:
  • If it looks easy, it probably isn't.
  • It is a good idea to have the thread in correctly. The leather guy's tutorial told me I had the thread in wrong in two places, and he was right. I wasn't using two of the guides. That made things a lot easier!
  • Even though it was an epic failure, I am glad I tried this. As someone who fixes instruments a lot, I have found that trial and error is the best way to learn anything. I had to open the part under the needle 3 times and I think I got something new out of it each time.
  • The bobbin is still a bit of a mystery to me. The manual is no help at all in that department so I will be finding that information elsewhere.
  • I will try this again when I have the proper items to work with. Thinner material will be better since I know stretchy is hard to work with anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Are you making sure your bobbin is put in the correct way? Just a thought. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete