Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Started the apron!

So I started the Emmeline apron from Sew Liberated today. I read over the instructions (ok, ok, I started reading after I started cutting...yell at me later).
Here is the pattern.
Here are my fabrics. The top is a cream/red paisley. It is very pretty and soft. The bottom, just plaid (yes, a directional pattern, what was I thinking?) Ok, I didn't really pick these out, I got them from my mom's huge fabric stash. I love paisley and the plaid is very close in color.
Cutting side 1. I cut this one with scissors. I didn't expect the pattern to be paper, more that filmy stuff I remember it being made of. It wasn't easy, as I cannot cut a straight line unless I cut 1" at a time.
This is the flip side of the paisley print. I am going to use this for the straps, it coordinates with the plaid side very well, and the paisley is barely visible through it.
Cutting side 2, using the rotary cutter, cutting mat, and ruler.
When I read the pattern, it includes darts. Yes, I know what darts are. No, I have no idea if that is too advanced for me or not. It took me a good 5 minutes to draw them on with my pretty pink tailors chalk. 6"long, 1" apart.

This is going to be a slow-going project for me. Not because it is overly difficult, but because there are a lot of things "new" to me, such as darts and gathering. I didn't finish cutting yet, because I want to do the straps tomorrow. I am going to try and do a little each night, but since school starts up again next Thursday, I want to spend as much time with my son as I possibly can.

Things I need to learn:
  • I don't know if it will be a problem, but I marked the darts with chalk before I ironed. Bloody pink mess? We shall see.
  • I need to buy something I have never heard of: 1/4 yard of lightweight fusible interfacing such as Pellon's 880. I have no idea what that is. (In the three minutes of research I just did, it appears that it is a stabilizer, which gives a bit of crispness to the item without being stiff, and I gather kind of "glues" the sides together?).
  • I have to make a bias strap. I have a clue as to what this is, but will have to go VERY slowly through the directions so as to not screw them up.
  • Hand stitch a ladder stitch. Thankfully, there is a visual. I know "Michelle's Stitch" which basically just gets it together. I think it is a basting stitch, but who the hell knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment