Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Apron Part Deux

Still no sewing has taken place!

I got home kinda late tonight, so I cut the straps while I watched Toddlers and Tiaras. Judge if you must. Here are the pieces, I needed two of each, and the two long pieces had to be taped together.
Cutting on the floor is tedious (and severely crappy) work. I will use the table next time.
Here is me cutting the bias straps. I had to make them 4" wide. They were cut mostly OK, but the chalk wheel doesn't like working on the carpet. Oh and I used it on the incorrect side. For this part, the "wrong" side is the "right" side because this is going to be the outside of my straps and bodice.
Everything I cut. It took fooooooooorever. Don't worry, I neatened it up before I put it away. I also rummaged through the stuff my mom sent with the sewing machine, and some of that binding I was talking about last post was in there, so I don't actually have to go out and buy anything (bonus!).
What I learned today:
  • Cutting bias straps is almost a little fun, because the scissors go through easily. Notice I said almost.
  • I should use the table instead of the floor for cutting, I bet it would cut my time in half, if not more.
  • I need to pay better attention to the "right" and "wrong" side thing.
Tomorrow, I start actually pressing and sewing this thing. The instructions for this apron make a lot of sense, but only if I read slowly and take in every single detail. This should be interesting, because there is a bit of terminology on there that I don't exactly quite understand yet. The gathering and the darts should be QUITE interesting. I think tomorrow I will sew everything together but the final apron (since it is reversible, it is like making two aprons with one set of straps).

ETA:
I did a little more research on bias binding (aka bias tape). Youtube is SUCH a great resource for sewing tutorials, and I found one on making bias tape, and one on using bias tape.

Making bias binding in a pretty simple way

What is bias binding used for? How does it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment