Saturday, August 29, 2009

I improvised a pillowcase.

This afternoon after a disaster in the kitchen (to be recounted at a different day...let's just say primer met carpet), Nate and I decided on wings for dinner, so he went to pick them up. I decided to make a pillow case while he was gone, and then we would watch Shaun of the Dead.
So here goes!

I completely winged this whole thing. I even misplaced the pillowcase my mom gave me to use as a template. Ikea fabric. Sorry Chris, I know you don't like the 70's thing :-)
Ugly red microfiber pillow that I have wanted to cover for awhile.
Measured the pillow, cut the fabric and laid it out on the pillow to make sure it would fit. Here is where I made my mistake. I was just a bit short on fabric to fit comfortably, so I had to make sure to squeak out every single inch. I had the overlap going horizontal. If I had thought for a second to make it vertical (while still staying with the pattern), I would have had plenty of fabric to do it. Live and learn!
Hemmed the long back edge. I then sewed the long back edge to the front, and the short back edge to the other end.
Pinned right sides together to stitch the front to the back.
Right after I made sure the pillow would fit.
Just barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrely overlaps. More on this later.
Turning it inside out to check for pillow fit one more time before I finish the last side.
The pillow case would just not stay closed, it looked like an overstuffed turkey. So I had to figure out a way to keep it closed. I thought of maybe sewing it closed by hand, or maybe adding a button. In the end, since this is for a baby's room and will get messy, I need to be able to take it apart to wash. I cut two narrow strips of velcro and stitched them to the very edge of the back parts. I sewed them down.
The finished product.
The finished back, holding together just fine! This took me about a half an hour, mostly because of the problem with the short side and double checking for pillow fit (yes, I measured, but with the short end, I couldn't be sure it would all cover). Then I had to find the soft side of the velcro, turned out it was left in my car.

What I learned today:
  • I really need to brainstorm a bit better when figuring out how to make something work. This would have been a perfect velcro free pillowcase otherwise. The color is a bit loud, but it is for Jack's room, which we are re-doing.
  • I love pinking shears! They made this much easier. I only use them to trim edges, of course, but they make the corners seem sharper because there is less bulk under the seam.
  • I was able to pin the hems on the back, but I did the rest freehand. I was finally able to a 1/4" seam without messing up, freehand. WOO!
Upcoming Projects:
  • I suck at using Mod Podge, but the dresser for the baby's room might be done by sometime next week.
  • Bird mobile will eventually get done. It was raining today, no park for us.
  • Hung a mirror in Jack's room, which he adores! It is just high enough for him to watch himself when we stand him up to get his pants on. (As in...it is out of his reach while being changed).
  • I might try my hand at a ButtercupBag but I would need to find the exact right fabric to make it worth my while. I really like the one they used on the site. I don't think I own a single yellow item. It makes me look sick. I love the color though, so sunshiney!
  • Trying the Poang slipcover now that I think I have a clue as to how I should do it. I need to get some upholsery fabric for this one.
  • Found the right color of twin bed sheet to make the bed skirt from, but for some reason, I didn't buy it. It was only $3, I don't know what I was thinking!
ETA: I found an instructional on how to make a slipcover for the child's poang chair, as well as some ideas on how to make my own pattern for the big chair. If this ever gets done, I will be shocked!

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog while doing a search for how to make a slip cover for an Ikea poang chair. I have decided to take on this project as well and have used a sewing machine only once before...what was I thinking?! Please post your pattern or any tips for the sewing impaired like me!

    ReplyDelete