Monday, August 24, 2009

Eleven little birdies, sittin in a tree!

I got the birdies done today! I figured out a way to make "baby" birds, too. I just cut a few inches from the original pattern. Not exactly like I had hoped they would turn out, but they will work. They are the third from the left, and the first on the right. This go was much easier than last night, it only took about 1/3 of the time, for more birds. The sewing was especially easy. I still had to hand-sew some holes (the seam at the head is not real sturdy).
Finished birdies!
We are going to go to Taughannock Falls this weekend to hunt sticks to make the mobile. I think we are going to move Jack's crib to the opposite wall from where it is now, and hang the mobile in the corner by the window.

What did I learn today?
I think I might have made too many birds. That is OK, it will give me choices when making the actual mobile. These were very forgiving when it came to the seam length, so I liked that. I figured out an easier way to turn them inside out, as well. I love this trial/error thing!

Upcoming Projects:
Emmeline apron by Sew Liberated. Pillowcases for the ugly red pillows in the living room (I might try my hand at a zipper for this one!). Still looking for a good tutorial/pattern for a Poang slipcover. Breathable bumpers for Jack's crib. I have to find some cream colored mesh for that.
I think I am also going to try my hand at a crib skirt for Jack. He has a mini-crib so I will have to wing the pattern (or actually measure), but I think it will be pretty easy. I will get one of the cheapy twin sheets from Walmart or something, they are around $2 right now with Back To School.

ETA: I was perusing Montessori By Hand's blog again, and I kind of absolutely love this idea .
I am not a Montessorian by any means, but I think the reasoning behind it is so cool! (A message to his Uncle Logan: I will make sure to put my son in manly apron prints, like John Deere or Playboy Bunnies, sound good?)

No comments:

Post a Comment