Monday, August 10, 2009

Evening projects (and redemption!)

Redemption! I grabbed one of my odd socks from the sack of odd socks. They are more along the lines of what one would use for Babylegs. Here is before I put on the cuff.
Here is the cuff, after the first stitch (straight stitch). This was SO much easier on this fabric.
My attempt at getting an even zig-zag around in a circle. Not too bad, but not perfect of course. I trimmed it up and have a very nice babyleg! It is a tester one, and nowhere near as long as it needs to be for J, but it was for practice anyway.
Can't see very well, but my attempts at putting a neater edge on our microfiber kitchen towels. These fray horribly if they aren't edged. Still doing contrasting colors so I can a) see the stitch b) see the difference between what happens with the bobbin and what happens with the neede.
Finished rags! We use these for everything. A squirt of Dawn, a splash of bleach, and I have wonderfully clean rags to clean the house with.
What did I learn:
  • I figured out how to back up the stitches (aka "double stitch" at the end of a row).
  • Edging the rags gave me good practice at sewing in a straight line.
  • The above also showed me that even if my line (or cutting) isn't perfectly straight, it isn't that hard to fake it by trimming off the excess fabric. I used to think once it's in, it's in.
  • Things might be as easy as the look...if you use the correct material. That tester babyleg took literally 3 minutes to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment