Friday, August 28, 2009

Finished!!

Here goes. This is a long one.

First, I finished the messed-up bodice from last night (I watched Project Runway this afternoon and picked out all the old stitches, that was fun). It was pretty easy to finish, so I figured I could keep going.
Next was doing the darts on the actual skirt. Not too hard. I did OK on the first one. Darker fabric, maybe I thought my mistakes wouldn't show? Anyway, this side turned out OK.
Here is the darts on the flip side. Didn't do so well here. I didn't really think about which string would go on top, bobbin or needle, and they needed to be ironed inward, so this looks kinda funky and wrong. Oh and my thread kept on desentegrating. It got thinner and thinner and finally broke, it happened about 6 times.
I figured I had some time, so I moved on to the straps. I sewed them with a 1/4 inch allowance all the way around. Right sides together! I was amazed at how this pattern was able to mask a lot of my bad cutting mistakes.
Finished and turned straps. In between this and the last picture, and emergency sewing call was placed to my mom. I didn't actually know what topstitching was. Luckily, she was available. Next thing I did (this might have actually been done after the darts were done, it is all a blur!)was to sew the bodice to the skirt for each side. This part was very simple and easy. I didn't even screw it up once!
The flip side, bodice sewn to skirt. I sewed the straps on right after this. I sewed them directly under the bottom bodice accent strip.
After the straps were sewn on, I had to gather and pin the straps so they wouldn't get in the way. It was time to sew front to back! Right side together, I pinned the whole shebangabang. This was actually not very difficult, either.
I trimmed the excess edging with my trusty pink pinking shears. Maybe not so trusty, I just got them (yay mom!), but they worked!
Here I am sewing on the bias binding. This part was not hard for the first side. After that, it sucked. I had to take it to the mirror, figure out how long I wanted it to be, and pin it all while wearing it. The binding was much easier to work with (initially) than I thought it would be. It called for hand-ladder stitching but I rejected that part of the instructions and just topstitched the bias binding after initially applying it. It turned out OK. Now I wish I had taken the time to hand stitch, but it is my first apron, I think I can be forgiving to myself. I had to double up on the neck so it wouldn't open up due to my cruddy cutting skills.
My model with the finished product...that's my dear husband who shall remain nameless. The flip side, the side I really love. What did I learn?
  • I learned that I should have picked up a simpler first real pattern project. Though having done this, I think attempting a pillowcase or three won't be hard at all.
  • I figured out how to have the thread break but still make it look OK. I had to just keep the presser foot down and not move the fabric while I did my repairs.
  • 1 yard=36". I bet all of you knew that. Neither I nor my husband did.
  • This apron is missing one very important element. A pocket! Where will I keep my gin now?
  • I was able to do the straps in one continuous stitch. A BIG first, so I learned how to sew a straight line. Three cheers for me!
  • I think it turned out pretty cute except the stitches on the halter neck binding. Just meh on that part. My fault, for not doing it by hand (and having crappy cutting skills).
What's Next?
We are picking up the sticks to finish the bird mobile this weekend, but it is possible instead of a mobile, it might become a wall hanging. Like this one, from Flikr.
I have a few other crafty things planned this weekend (or maybe just stuff I don't normally do). I have to patch some holes in the paint in Jack's room, and maybe do a few wall hangings. I will steal any and all ideas off of this fantastic site with allll sorts of baby rooms (including toddler rooms, yay!). I love all the themes in there. As I have said before, I am not much of a "theme" type of person, but owls and birds are calling to me. Especially owls. Love them. I might try to get some felt to work with, because there are some cute patterns for felt owls out there. I even covet this owl diaper (no way would I ever spend that much on a diaper, but I love the pattern).



My next sewing project will be to make a pillowcase cover for a hideous pillow in the living room, to be used in Jack's room (in the Poang chair, not his crib, silly). I will make it out of one of the fabrics that the birds is made out of so it will have some matchy-matchy to it but I am not sure which one. Also going to make a bedskirt for Jack's crib. We keep a lot of crap (excess cloth diapers, stuff for daycare) under there, so I would like to keep it covered if at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment