Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wetbag: take 2

Today I did another wetbag. This time, I uses a patterned PUL so I didn't have to futz with an outside layer.
First, I used this PUL. It was a cute patterned one from when my mom made Jack a ton of cloth diapers with it.
There really wasn't a ton of it, and this was for a smallish wetbag. Here it is cut out and ready to go.
Oh no! The zipper is too long! Thankfully, the package for the zipper had directions on shortening it. I love the nylon zippers, they are very easy to work with. I just had to hand sew around the zipper where I wanted it to end, cut off 1/2 inch from there and voila! it was done.

I had no pure white bobbin thread so I had to wind the bobbin. Anyone who has read for any amount of time knows I stink at winding the bobbin. I thought I figured out the problem but I was WRONG! I screwed it up twice before figuring out the real problem. It was tension, yes, but around the guide, not the spool. Fixed it and got it going.
The zipper is on. I am making another bag tomorrow (kitchen bag, same as yesterday only 1/2 the size). I will watch more tutorials on applying the zipper because I just did a crappy (though functional) job on this one too.
For some reason, the machine kept skipping HUGE chunks of stitches. It would have stitchstitchstitchloooooooooooongpieceofthreadstitchstitchstitch. Ugh. Frustrating. I eventually got it figured out, but it sucked.
Putting on the ring for hanging. This did not turn out anything like I hoped it would, but it works. I sewed it to the outside, and then put Aplix (velcro) on either side. Meh.
Here it is, hanging up on our over the toilet shelving thingy. I put the new microfiber rags I bought at Walmart today (cheap cheap cheap!) to see if it would hold the weight, it worked fine. Sure, they will be wet when they go in, but never soaking.
What did I learn today?

  • The sound of the machine is extremely important. I need to start listening to subtle changes in the "whirring" sound while sewing, because when it is screwed up, it makes a sound just a tiny bit different than "normal". It also feels a tad different. The bobbin and thread screwed up a few times and made a totally different noise as well.
  • PUL is easier to work with when it has a cute print, no messing with an outer fabric.
  • The ring to attach this to other stuff has not worked either time. This time at least the velcro holds it, but I am going to change it again tomorrow. Perhaps attach it in a way that it has to hang on something, can't be hung through something. We have plenty of clothespins to attach it to itself on a handle/bar anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Couple of things- the skipped stitches thing could be the need to change needles, and with a knit, you use a ballpoint.
    Also, when sewing PUL and other plastic things, it is a good idea to use a teflon foot. I dont remember if that machine had one. If not, they just cost a few dollars. MOM

    ReplyDelete