Friday, September 4, 2009

Basket liner (the hard way)

Today I made a basket liner that I have been meaning to make for awhile. I don't really know where this basket came from, but I have had it for awhile. I keep Jack's extra blankets/sheets in it. I had planned on using the Curbly tutorial on Youtube, but I ended up using this one instead. The Curbly one would have been 110% easier but I didn't even have close to enough fabric (there is a bunch of wasted fabric as a tradeoff for an easy basket liner). I really like the fabric the tutorial I did used, by the way.

Here we have a long, shallow basket.
I had to do a ton of measurements, then make what looked like a wide tube. This was pretty easy. This is the same fabric I used for the Podaegi straps, since the beautiful green fabric I had planned to use was not big enough. I ironed the seams, and got ready to sew on the bottom.
Pinning the bottom to the tube. Not easy, the sides of the tube were a bit longer than the bottom (though I measured both out as per instructed).
I had to kind of wing it when it came to sewing the corners. They turned out OK but not perfect.
You can't see it here, but the corner closest to me has a "hole" in it, and the one on the far right is bunched up in the middle. Another victim of my crappy cutting skills.
I foled the edges 1/4", then 1/2", pinned, then sewed. It turned out pretty well. Curbly's tutorial adds elastic, which would have been nice here, but not necessary.
I fixed the "hole" and the bunching will just have to stay, because I am in no mood to use the seam ripper. All done!
What did I learn?
  • Corners are hard.
  • Wasting fabric might be worth more than doing it the hard way. They other way just looks SO easy. Unfortunately, all the baskets I have left to cover are the wicker ones that look like small laundry baskets (every Walmart has them). Round bottom...should be interesting!
  • I learned that stores have a real racket going on. These liners are not hard to make at all, and can be made pretty cheaply (I think I spent $2 on this fabric). The same basket with a liner at Michael's is about $19.
Upcoming Projects:
  • I desperately need to make mesh crib bumpers.
  • Not much else coming up since school starts Tuesday. BLEH!

OH and we finally finished the birdies. Jack and I went out back to find a fallen stick to sew the birds to. I came back in with it, tested it on the wall, and then found out I had a giant spider crawling up my arm. Thankfully Jack was on my back in the Podaegi, because that thing scared the crap out of me.
Not crazy about the bird on the left...but I wanted a bird there and couldn't figure out another way to get it to stand up straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment