Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An upcoming project (perhaps this weekend?)

Ya know how you can find out about a new product and then wonder how you ever got by without it?

Well I can't believe I didn't think of this one!

In our attempt to cut down on waste, I had to curb my addiction to paper towels. As I have talked about before, and made near the beginning of this blog, we use big microfiber towels from Sam's, cut in half. The problem was always what do we do with the rags after use? I use about 3 a day, and we have been putting them in a plastic bag inside the small closet in our kitchen. Problem is, they reek. I don't want to wash them every day (defeats the purpose, no?). My husband always forgets where we put them.

So today, in my internet adventures, someone posted about kitchen wetbags!

I have about 6 wetbags. We cloth diaper our son, and we have a few for home, a few for daycare, a few for diaper bags. However, it didn't even cross my mind to use one in the kitchen. DUH!

So, I will be making my own wetbag. I am going to use this tutorial, and wing the rest. Hopefully it will come out looking something like this. I asked my mom if she thought I could do this one, and she said yes AND she has some PUL left from when she made our wetbags. Score! I can use some of the fabric I have left from a different sewing project, it takes about 1/2 yard of fabric for one bag. I have never done a zipper before, and this requires a zipper, so a new skill will be learned (I hear there is a special foot needed for zippers? My machine has a bunch of presser feet with it). If you look at the picture, the maker used snaps, but I will probably use velcro and make it so it will hang somewhere else (possibly at an angle). The stove just isn't somewhere I want my used rags to hang out, since heat makes things smell.

Yay!

This will probably happen this weekend. School started today for teachers and kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment