Friday, September 18, 2009

We interrupt this laborious banner making to bring you...

A kitchen wet bag! Here is the material I chose. Cute, eh? The strip at the top is to make the strap to hang it on to whatever it needs hanging on. I used the general idea of the BabyStuff wet bag.
Then we have the PUL. Mom had a whole lot more than I thought she did. She said "I have a little". A "little" to me is like, 1/2 a yard. This was far more than that. Slippery.
Most of my materials, cut after much rasslin' of the PUL. For those who don't know what PUL is, it is a waterproof fabric, used in cloth diapers and covers and many other items that need to keep moisture in. All my materials.Sewing the zipper on. I watched a Youtube tutorial on this. I got some good pointers, but in the interest of full disclosure, I kinda winged it. It actually turned out very well functionally. The zipper presser foot was a pain to get set right, but I figured it out.

I used the method of making bias tape that I used for making my apron. My iron cover still has the holes, so why not? This was to make the tie-on-thingy. I folded it in half and sewed a straight stitch down one side after ironing it. Nothing fancy. Sewed the strap into where the zipper connects. If I knew then what I know now, this would have been connected at the side instead of the top. Now the zipper is applied, I sewed up the sides. Here is a shot of my horrible, sloppy, icky, bad mad sewing skillz with a zig-zag stitch up the sides, double-stitching the bottom half of each side. The little square of blue fleece is to apply a drop or two of essential oil to. It is nice to be able to have a bit of a fresh smell in your wetbag. I think lemon would be lovely in the kitchen.
The finished product! It turned out pretty nicely, if I do say so myself. However, this will not be going into the kitchen. I went into the kitchen to give it a whirl, and it was WAY too big. Way. I put all our dirty rags in it (about 2/3 of our kitchen rags are dirty). They were in a plastic bag, don't worry. They took up very little room so I am going to try again this weekend. I will make one about 1/2 the size. I am going to Walmart tomorrow so I can pick up more stuff (like a zipper). I am also going to make one for the bathroom (yes, we use rags for cleaning the bathroom as well). That one will be velcro closure. Goodness knows we have enough PUL. This one will go in Jack's room instead. When our "main" wetbag is in the washer, we need somewhere to put the stuff, right?

What did I learn?
  • Zippers are tricky.
  • PUL is some slippery stuff, but it is very forgiving. I screwed up time after time but still never had to start over. Lots of trimming though.
  • Overall, this was an extremely easy project. It took a couple episodes of Judge Judy but almost all of that was while cutting the PUL and fabric to the same size. My cutting area is very small, so no easy time there.
Upcoming Projects:
  • Finish the birthday banner
  • Small bathroom wetbag
  • Small kitchen wetbag
  • Make a pair of fleece longies using this tutorial. Fleece longies are a pair of pants that double as a cloth diaper cover. We have a pair that is very very nice that I bought on Hyena Cart from a local WAHM/sister of a friend. I never once considered making any, but mom included a bit of really soft, nice fleece with the PUL so I figure hey, why not? Here it is. It is what was left after my mom made my grandmother the most horrible Snuggie-like pajamas for the Minnesota winter. Almost like footie pajamas for an adult, but no footies and no pants, like a dress. Guess what? She loves them and wants more. Not enough left of this one though :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment