Thursday, September 3, 2009

Finally got busy last night...

Last night I decided to try my hand at a Podaegi. It worked out pretty well (so far). It is a Korean-style baby carrier. I have a bunch of carriers but this one piqued my interest so I thought I would try it out. I used this tutorial. I had seen a few other tutorials, but this one was the easiest to follow (so I thought).

Here is my fabric. I got 2 yards of the cotton one on the left, that was my blanket fabric. I got 3 yards of the poly/cotton upholstery fabric on the right, that was the strap fabric. It is not really that thick so I figured it would make good strap material (I was correct).
Instead of a continuous strap, I sewed 3 strips of the fabric together, as per the directions.
I had to cut out batting for the head/shoulder rest. This would turn out to be mine enemy.
All of the strap material sewn into one long strap.
Sewing the blanket. I hemmed it on the inside, then I zig-zag topstitched it.
Trying to figure out which end goes inside the headrest. I had to measure again.
Figured it out. I had to sew the batting into the center of the straps, then sew the blanket into this area. Turns out, this is a giant pain in the ass. Giant. Can't get it straight, can't get it in right, can't do this that or the other. The instructions also were not very clear here, I had to read them outloud to myself a few times. A work colleague who sews told me to use either paper or some of that tearaway stuff (which I have, would have been nice to know this yesterday!) to sew through this stuff. Now I know!
The final product. I tried it with my son this morning. He is a teeny tiny peanut of a boy who is used to being in all sorts of carriers. This is simply too short. The directions did say that this could be made longer/shorter due to preference, but I made it exactly to the #'s specified. I will fix this tomorrow by adding length to the blanket. It shouldn't be too hard.

What did I learn?
  • I hate batting.
  • I kept getting the bobbin messed up somehow. I had to stop and start this a lot. Part of it might have had to do with the thickness of the project.
  • Speaking of bobbins, mine drove me crazy last night when I was winding it. I kept winding it and winding it and it was winding loose, on top and on bottom and under where it should have wound. I did it over and over and over again and could not figure out what was wrong. This afternoon, I figured out the problem. The little cap that holds the thread in place (on the spool, not the bobbin) was not on there at all the whole time. It had been getting unwound in the wrong tension, therefore getting screwed up. DUH!
Upcoming projects:
  • I am going to make that basket liner.
  • Still thinking about making the ButterCup bag
  • I might make a clothespin holder with some scraps that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment