Sunday, September 13, 2009

Got something done today, finally! (Banner Part 1)

Today I started making a "Happy Birthday" banner for my son's birthday next month. I used this sorta-tutorial. I like that it is a do this, you can mess around with that, etc. type of thing. I like to have choices.

We are not doing any real theme, but I love brown and blue, so brown and blue this banner will be. We are short on cash (yes, school started but a lot of catch-up is being played with the "big" bills), so I went to our Walmart, that mercifully still sells fabric, for my supplies.

I cut a piece of printer paper to 9" long, folding it in half. I used only the rotary cutter on this one.
Side 1. This is the side the letters will be on. I still have to pick a font (and make the time, this is going to be time consuming, as the tutorial writer mentioned).
I tried to cut this in a way that conserved as much fabric as possible, so I would have some good scrap left.
Happy Bir
The flip side. Yes, that is flowers. Yes, my child is a boy. This was the only thing that matched well enough to go with. It is for the flip side, anyway.
Both sides finished cutting out.
The brown stuff on the right is the felt I will be cutting the letters out of. I will choose the font, and probably cut the letters tomorrow. I will use interfacing in this, to make it a bit more stable. The tutorial I used didn't use it but I think for a novice like me, it will be helpful.
I took my own advice...instead of making my own bias binding, I bought my own. I didn't know to buy double or single fold bias tape. They had brown bias tape, single fold, for 50 cents so I got one of those and one of these double fold (at regular price, about $1.50). I will use the other one for something, I am sure.
Not related to the banner, but here are the supplies I got today for my kitchen wetbag. I like the fabric because it matches pretty much any fall or jewel toned kitchen items I might have, and the zipper is "natural" just because I didn't want black or white. Hopefully my mom will bring me the PUL on Friday so I can do this bag this coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment