Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Happy Hiney's Snap Conversion (A lesson in failure)

Let us just say...massive failure. This one took forever and the results were less than stellar. I got so frustrated I barely took pictures.

I thought this one would be easy. I have 2 velco HH's and one snap HH. I would use the snap one as my template, and voila! Snappy diaper. The diapers are exactly the same except the snap/velcro thing. So I started doing measurements. Not a single measurement on the snap diaper was uniform. Not one. The first snap was 1" away from the first one, the next one was 1 1/4" away, next was 1 5/8 away...etc. On one side the first snap was 1.5" from the end, on the other, it was 1 3/4" from the end. What the heck. I really truly think these must be done freehand. So, no template here. I even tried making a template by marking right on the snap through the paper. Nope. So I decided to start from the center, go 4 out from there, 1" apiece. Yea, it looks like crap, and nothing like the original. I also did this on a dark colored diaper. My fabric pen barely showed up, and the chalk was a joke.

Then I get to the wings. This part was probably my fault. I took the snap setter and equipment out to the living room to watch season 3 Big Bang Theory episodes with my husband. I had the setter on a TV table. None of the male end snaps worked on their first try. I had to cut out at least 5 of them. Notice I was using my desk for the BG diapers, but not for this one. I think the fact that it was at a different height/stability made it so I just couldn't get the force needed to properly snap stuff together. Oh well. I am not crazy about our snap HH diaper anyway (it is always the one daycare just leaves stuffed at the bottom of the bag). I am disappointed to have butchered the velcro one, though. I do like those a lot. The velcro on them is very good. At least I still have my cow print HH left, I won't be trying to alter that at all.


The final product, front of diaper. All over the place and uneven. Boo.
Sorry about the lighting, with the flash you couldn't see the snaps on the white one (the original) at all. See how uniform it looks? Well, my ruler and 78 times checking the measurements tells me otherwise.
The wings. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment